Dr Vicky Smith
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy
MB BCh, MSc, MRCPsych, Affiliate RANZCP
Vicky is a UK trained doctor and Consultant Psychiatrist. She trained and worked in the National Health Service, (NHS), in the UK. She completed her psychiatric studies training in psychodynamic psychotherapy. This training provided broad exposure to, and / or training in, a number of modalities such as: Art Therapy; Group Therapy; Psychoanalysis; psychodynamic psychotherapy; Cognitive Analytic Therapy, (CAT); CBT; Transpersonal Therapy; and Transactional Analysis.
Her training was based in a Therapeutic Community Day Service for the treatment of personality disorder and in outpatient psychotherapy services.
For clinicians, she has training in supervision, and many years experience in participating and facilitating Balint Style Groups for reflection on professional practice.
Since moving to New Zealand she worked in the DHB in a variety of psychiatric specialties before moving into private practice. This move has allowed her to focus on providing talking / psychological therapies as a preferred modality of treatment for mental health. As well a previous training in psychodynamic psychotherapy, she is now an Accredited Practitioner in EMDR, and a Candidate in Jungian Analysis.
Her private practice focuses on psychological treatments and she has an interest at working at some depth in analysis of more than once weekly sessions. The therapeutic exploration can include working with dreams, metaphor, sandplay and images.
Registration and Professional Memberships
- MRCPsych – Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK
- Jungian Analysis Candidate – Australian and New Zealand Society of Jungian Analysts (ANZSJA) CGJI Analytic Training
- EMDR Accredited Practitioner – EMDR Association of NZ (EMDRNZ)
- EMDR Clinician – EMDR Institute
- RANZCP- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, Affiliate Member
- New Zealand Medical Council (NZMC) – Registered Doctor, Vocational Scope Psychiatry
- General Medical Council (GMC), UK – Registered Doctor, Specialist Register Psychotherapy